Life in Homosassa was not easy. The "school Boat" below was used by Rosa Campbell,
one of the early teachers. She would travel from Ozella to Homosassa and on her way would pick up some of the students
from their homes on the islands. Ms Rosa is buried in Stage Stand Cemetery, near the old water pump.
One of the early school buildings, called the Old Palmetto School House, was located along the Homosassa River (below).
These pictures give us a great insight in the hardships associated with education.
Note that Old Homosassa in the early 1900s was also called "Homasassa" and "Homasana". Students received a lovely School Souvenir in 1918,
probably the equivalent of a diploma. It is interesting to note that descendants of many of the students are
still residing in the Homosassa area.
The above picture shows Willie Harman and a list of students in 1918
Homosassa received its first post office in 1845, with Bill Conely being the first postmaster. This was the first post office to be established in what is now Citrus County. This was the same year Florida became the 27th state. The post office was discontinued and reestablished a number of times in the following years. After the post office was reestablished on April 7, 1886, it has continued to serve the community to this day. The picture below shows the cabbage log post office that was built by Postmaster Russell M. Adkins’ father in 1948. It was located across the street from the two story brick school house which burned in December, after Christmas, in 1969. Gulf Coast Marines is now on the site the post office was located.
The reputation of the great fishing and hunting opportunities on the Homosassa
River soon reached adventurers, even President Grover Cleveland, in the northern states. The availability of rail
transportation put Homosassa on the map. In 1924, Mr. Bruce Hoover from Chicago Ill., founded the “Homosassa
Development Co. He bought up the land around the springs and a large number of acres in what is now Homosassa
Springs. The Homosassa Hotel was built at what is now the NW corner of Hwy 19 and Halls River Road. In 1925 a
second depot was built at the junction of what is now Halls River Road and Fishbowl Dr. It was a one room
building about 9 X 12. The conductor would sound the whistle when he had guest, and they would send someone from
the Homosassa Hotel to pick them up. The hotel has now been replaced by a large shopping center.
At the same time the Homosassa Arcade was constructed on the NE corner of Hwy 19
and Grover Cleveland Blvd., known by the locals as “Chicken farm Road”. The Arcade was the equivalent of a
modern shopping center. It was destroyed in the late 1950’s. CVS Pharmacy is now located on that site.
The first post office in Homosassa Springs was established on August 26, 1927 and has existed unto this day.
Upon arrival in Homosassa, the train whistle would alert
the hotel to come and pick up their guests at the train station near the corner of what is now Halls River
Road and Fishbowl Drive.